Courses: Beans, Beef, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Main Course, Main Courses, Soups & Stews, Vegetarian
With smoked sausage… tastes like you’re enjoying this dish in the French Quarter!
- 15 min
- 3 h
- Ready in:
- 3 h 15 min
- Place beans in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight in refrigerator. Drain and place in a 6-quart heavy kettle.
- Add all remaining ingredients except 1/2 lb sausage and rice. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, covered over moderate heat 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove lid and cook mixture at a bare simmer 1 hour more, adding more water if mixture is too thick.
- Remove 1 cup bean mixture and mash to a paste.
- Return bean paste to mixture and add remaining 1/2 lb sausage; simmer 30 more min. Serve over white rice.