Rich and dark, spicy and smoky chili with a touch of cocoa…
- 8 servings
- 1 4-lb boneless chuck roast, trimmed & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 packet Urban Accents Santa Fe Mole Gotta Cook Tonight, divided
- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth, divided
- 3 Tbsp Urban Accents Rio Grande Chili Blend
- 1-2 Tbsp masa or cornstarch
- 1 15-oz can black beans or pinto beans, drained & rinsed OPTIONAL
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 3 h
- Ready in: 3 h 15 min
- Spread beef cubes on large baking pan and sprinkle with 3 Tbsp Santa Fe Mole Gotta Cook Tonight; toss to coat evenly.
- Saute bacon in large stockpot over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked bacon to large bowl.
- Working in 4 batches, saute beef in bacon drippings until browned, about 5 min per batch.
- Transfer beef to bowl with bacon.
- Add onion and garlic to stockpot; saute until onion softens, about 5 min.
- Add 1 cup broth to pot and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Return beef, bacon and any accumulated juices to pot; stir in remaining Santa Fe Mole seasoning and Rio Grand Chili Blend.
- Add 3 cups broth, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and simmer for an additional hour, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in masa by teaspoonfuls to thicken chili to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you like beans in your chili, add them before you thicken the chili.
- Serve with chopped green onions, grated cheddar cheese or queso fresco and slivered tortilla chips.