Great carnitas are the perfect combination of juicy meat and crispy edges. Pork Al Pastor has a fruity, tangy but deeply savory flavor. This recipe nails it all while also cutting down on cook time by using an electric pressure cooker. What’s not to love??
- appx 2 pounds boneless pork roast, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 package Urban Accents Tacos Al Pastor Seasoning Mix
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- juice of one lime
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced ((Canned pineapple can be substituted. Be sure to drain!))
- corn or flour tortillas
- Your favorite taco toppings: cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado, salsa, lime wedges, etc
- 5 min
- 45 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 20 min
- Season pork pieces on all sides using entire packet of seasoning.
- Set InstaPot to saute mode, and add oil. Working in batches as needed, add seasoned pork pieces and cook undisturbed for two minutes on at least 2 sides. When all pieces are browned, add sliced onion, water, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Seal InstaPot and set to cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Allow for natural release for 5 minutes, and then carefully use the quick release method for any remaining pressure.
- Use tongs to remove pork pieces to a large bowl and use two forks to shred pork. Reserve cooking juices for broiling step.
- When ready to serve, heat broiler to high. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding, spread shredded pork and pineapple chunks onto a baking sheet and spoon 1 cup reserved cooking juices over. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until most liquid has evaporated and pork and pineapple are browned and crispy. Serve immediately with your favorite taco toppings.
This recipe is a make-ahead dream! Complete steps 1-4 and store shredded pork and juices (separately) in the fridge until ready to broil and serve. Store finished carnitas in the fridge for up to 5 days for delicious leftovers: scramble into eggs or use to fill a quesadilla.