Beautiful grilled artichokes aren’t just for street festivals or fancy parties! Our Herby Lemon Marinade is a delicious pair for creamy, rich artichoke hearts.
- 15 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 15 min
- Rinse artichokes with cool water and pat dry with a towel. Remove any small leaves near the stem. Using kitchen shears, cut the sharp, pointy tips from each leaf. Use a chef's knife to remove the top third (tip), then cut the artichoke in half vertically (from stem to tip). Use a spoon to dig out and remove the 'choke' or the spicy, fuzzy middle leaves. Use a sharp knife or vegetable peeler to peel the rough outer layers off the stem. Rub any cut edges or sides with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Fill a stock pot 2/3 full with water, and the juice from half a lemon, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, place artichokes in water and return to a boil. Cook artichokes in boiling water for approximately 20 minutes, or until the interior is fork tender. Once cooked, remove artichokes carefully with tongs to a colander and allow to drain, cut side down for a few minutes.
- Place cooked, drained artichokes cut side up on a plate or in a shallow baking dish. Pour Herby Lemon Marinade onto the cut halves being sure marinade seeps between leaves. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 6-8 hours.
- After marinating, grill artichokes over medium-high, indirect heat. You could also broil them cut side up to create nice color and char. Serve warm with dipping sauce (recipe below). Peel inner leave from artichoke halves, dip the lower half in sauce, and use your teeth to scrape the buttery flesh from the bottom end of each leaf.
For Dipping Sauce:
- Mix 1 part Herby Lemon Marinade with 2 parts mayo to create a tangy, creamy sauce to serve with your grilled artichokes.