Gourmet Gobbler Brined TurkeyMarch 20, 2015
Prepare a flavorful, juicy turkey every time!
For: 12 servings
- 17-24 lb turkey
- Urban Accents Gourmet Gobbler Complete Turkey Brine and rub Kit
- Our 3-step instruction guide creates the most flavorful and juiciest bird you ever served to your friends and family.
- Add Brine Blend spices to one gallon of water or vegetable stock (low sodium) and bring to a boil for 5 min. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Place the turkey in the Brining Bag and add liquid brining mixture. If necessary, add additional cold water so the entire turkey is submerged in the solution. Refrigerate overnight. Remove turkey; discard brine and bag. Rinse turkey and pat completely dry inside and out.
- Rub entire turkey with 2-4 Tbsp olive oil. Generously sprinkle the entire contents of the Smokey Peppercorn Turkey & Herb Rub over the outer skin of the bird. For deep-fried turkey; using your finger, rub Turkey Rub UNDER skin also.
- TO ROAST: For a 17-20 lb bird, roast at 325F for 4 to 4-1/2 hours; times vary by oven. When the skin turns brown, about two thirds of the way through roasting, shield the breast loosely with a sheet of foil to prevent overbrowning. Check for doneness -- the internal temperature of thighs should be 180F on a meat thermometer. The thigh and drumstick meat should feel soft when pressed, and when the thigh is pierced with a fork the juices should run clear, not pink. Remove turkey from oven; place on cutting board and tent the cooked turkey with foil. Let stand for 15-20 min. This resting time allows the juices to saturate the meat evenly for the moist and tender turkey.
- TO GRILL: Heat grill to medium (about 325F to 350F, you should be able to hold your hand 4-inches above the grate for 6-8 seconds). If using charcoal, build fire on one side of grill. Place turkey breast side-up in a large disposable aluminum baking pan and place on grill. If using charcoal, place pan on opposite side of fire for full circulation of heat. Cover grill tightly. Check turkey every 30 minutes and baste with any pan juices. Charcoal grills may need to have extra charcoal added to maintain heat. Be careful not to let grill flare up (the pan ought to catch any drippings). Grill turkey about 2 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180F, and 170F in the breast. Let turkey rest at least 15-20 minutes before carving.
- TO DEEP-FRY: After brining, and rinsing, make sure turkey is completely dry, inside and out, before frying. Follow instructions that came with your deep-fryer for specific directions.