Lighten up your taco night with this crumbled tofu ground meat substitute. Use this technique with any of our taco sauces for an ultra-savory, vegan-friendly meal!
- Up to 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 block extra firm tofu (packed in water)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1/2 bottle Urban Accents Korean BBQ Global Taco Simmer Sauce (or more to taste)
- Drain tofu and remove excess water by wrapping tofu block in paper towels and placing it, wrapped, between two plates. Add a weight to the top plate with something heavy (ie: cast iron, cookbooks, produce). After 10 minutes, change the paper towels and let sit for 10 more minutes. After the second squeeze, remove block from paper towels.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and fry the whole block on both large sides until crispy brown (2-4 minutes). Allow block to cool and cut the block into 1 inch cubes.
- Add more oil to the skillet and return the cubes to the skillet to fry and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and allow tofu to cool to room temperature.
- Place cool cubes into a food processor. Pulse until cubes become just crumbly - do not over process.
- Add 2 tablespoons to skillet and sautee onion until translucent. Add tofu crumbles and sauce and simmer on low 5-10 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Serve with warm tortillas or bao buns and top with pickles, kimchi, chopped green onion, and/or shredded cabbage.