Red Beans and Rice is a hearty, tasty Southern staple. Our Cajun Street Seasoning Blend brings true New Orleans flavor to simple ingredients – all in about an hour!
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- 14-16 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped ((appx 1.5 cups))
- 1 bell pepper, chopped ((appx 1.5 cups))
- 2 small carrots, chopped ((appx 1.5 cups))
- 1/2 large onion, chopped ((appx 1.5 cups))
- 3 Tbsp Urban Accents Cajun Street Seasoning Blend
- 6 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3-10 dashes hot sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar ((or other acidic ingredient: lemon juice will work, too.))
- chopped sweet onion and parsley for garnish
- rice, prepared to package directions
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 50 min
- Ready in: 1 h 5 min
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until well browned, stirring occasionally - appx 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add celery, bell pepper, carrots, and onion to pot. Stir to combine and cook until softened and slightly browned - appx 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes to toast spices. Add hot stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add beans and simmer 20-25 minutes or until liquid has reduced by about a third. Use the back of a spoon to smash appx 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot. This will thicken the sauce.
- Add sausage to pot and return to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Simmer until liquid has reduced to about half it's original depth or to your desired consistency.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 Tbsp vinegar (acidic ingredient) and a few dashes hot sauce. Adjust acidic ingredient, heat, and salt to taste.
- Spoon into a shallow bowl and top with a scoop of rice. Garnish with chopped white or green onion and parsley. Serve with hot sauce on the side. Garlic bread is the perfect accompaniment.