BobotieMarch 20, 2015
Traditional South African hearty comfort meal with a savory egg custard topping… so delicious & different!
- 1-1/4 lbs ground beef
- 1 med red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 Tbsp Urban Accents Casablanca Ras El Hanout
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Heat a large heavy pot over med-high heat. Add beef and onion and cook until the beef is well browned, about 5 min.
- Stir in garlic, Casablanca Ras El Hanout, Moroccan Roast and tomatoes; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 min.
- Stir in bread crumbs, peanut butter, and 1/2 cup water; cook for another 15 min.
- Remove the mixture with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate for 20 min.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter a 2-qt baking dish.
- Spread the beef mixture across the bottom of the pan and press down to pack well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, egg yolks, nutmeg and salt; pour over beef mixture.
- Set the baking dish in a larger baking pan and add enough hot water to come 1-inch up the sides of the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 min.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 min, until custard topping is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- To serve, cut into squares.