This quick and easy seafood dish is also simple and elegant. Use fresh, dry-packed sea scallops to get a perfect sear, and our Athenian Herb Dryglaze will help you bring together an extraordinary pan sauce.
- Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel. The scallops need to be dry in order to sear properly.
- In a small bowl, mix Athenian Herb Dryglaze with 1/4 cup water and set aside to dissolve.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-heat high for 3 or 4 minutes. Add one tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. When the butter is finished bubbling, add the scallops to the hot pan and cook, turning once, until each side is seared and brown (appx 2 minutes per side). Work in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan - add more butter and oil with each batch. Once browned, transfer the scallops to a plate. **The scallops will flip easily if they are seared - if they're sticking, they're not ready.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir the Dryglaze mixture scraping up the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add two tablespoons of butter and stir as it bubbles.
- Add the tomatoes and capers and cook until tomatoes begin to cook down and wrinkle (appx 3 minutes). Add water as needed to keep sauce from becoming too thick. Once the sauce is rich and beautiful, pour sauce over the scallops and serve immediately. Garnish with finely chopped chives.